Picking the right monologue and song
- You have to relate to the character. Use this monologue to show the auditors who you are.
- Try to stick to your age range. Not always easy, I know. At the very least, the subject of the monologue should be something you could reasonably experience. For instance, don't do a monologue about working for 25 years if you are only 20 years old.
- Stick to the present, avoid monologues where you are just telling a story or sharing a memory.
- The character should change during the course of the monologue.
- Don't use a dialect unless instructed to do so.
- Pick a song that shows your range AND you can sing any day of the week.